Monday, May 25, 2009

Allow Me to Introduce Myself


My name, Jose Jimenez. (No, not really.)

My name is Sue. How do you do? (No, that's not right either.)

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die! (Another lie, but it sounds like me.)

Actually my name is Austin S. Camacho and I’m the author given the unenviable position of filling the space previously held by the lovely and talented Anne Carter. As this is my first official appearance on Make Mine Murder I will take the coward’s way out and tell you all about myself… in lieu of anything useful.

I am the author of five detective novels about Washington DC based African American private eye Hannibal Jones. The newest novel, Russian Roulette will officially release on June 13th so I’m a little single-point focused right now. I could blog endlessly about my new book, my character and my series, but I’d understand if you might prefer other topics.

I’m active in several writers’ organizations, both national and local. I’m a past president of the Maryland Writers Association and the Northern Virginia chapter of the Virginia Writers Club. So I can regale you with tales of participation in such groups. I’ve also attended and run several writers conferences so I can speak on those cool things too.

In addition I teach writing courses at Anne Arundel Community College. My classes cover creating great characters, and the use of setting, dialog, and plot. I could add my voice to this esteemed group on matters of writing craft.

I’ve also written a popular marketing manual, Successfully Marketing Your Fiction in the 21st Century. That, and my decade of experience as an author, qualify me to blog about marketing books and give concrete examples from my own efforts.

I still do media relations work for the Defense Department - For more than a decade American Forces Network carried my radio and television news reports to military families overseas. I’ve settled in Springfield, Virginia with my lovely wife Denise and Princess, the Wonder Cat.

I will not blog about my wife. I might one day write about Princess. But what would YOU like me to discuss? Now that you know a little about me, let me know how I can best serve the Make Mine Mystery cause. I can’t make you miss Anne any less – heck I miss Anne’s posts – but maybe I can entertain you and enlighten you about matters pertaining to the writer’s craft, the writer’s life, and of course… murder!

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hi Austin,

I enjoy reading how other authors tackle the nuts and bolts of mystery writing--particularly red herrings and clues, which are the most challenging for me to write.

Happy Memorial Day!
Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Anonymous said...

Pleased to meet you. :) Enjoyed the article and learning how you do certain things in your writing.

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

Jean Henry Mead said...

Hi, Austin, it's good to have you with us. I've just started reading your ARC for Russian Roulette and know that I'm really going to enjoy it. Whatever you'd like to write about from your intriguing background will be well read, I'm sure.

Austin S. Camacho said...

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome! I love to talk craft and will be happy to share what I think I've learned on this site, as I learn from all my fellow bloggers.

Morgan Mandel said...

I must say you look lots better in person!

Welcome to Make Mine Mystery. I'm sure you'll come up with some great topics to entertain us.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com

Mark Troy said...

Welcome Austin. I'm looking forward to what you have to say about the craft.

Mark Troy
http://hawaiian-eye.blogspot.com
http://www.marktroy.net

Libby McKinmer said...

Welcome, Austin! I look forward to reading your blog with Make Mine Mystery regularly. If you ever feel so inclined to share some marketing tips, I, for one, would be grateful.

Libby McKinmer
Romance with an edge
www.libbymckinmer.com
libby@libbymckinmer.com
Also on Twitter, GoodReads & Facebook

Earl Staggs said...

As much as we'll miss Anne, you're a fine addition to the crew, Austin. I even recognized all the quotes you opened with. As a matter of fact, I was half expecting to see, "Call me Ishmael."
Welcome aboard!

Dana Fredsti said...

Howdy, Inigo...er...Austin! Welcome to our merry, murderous group!