Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wow! What Must it Be Like to Have a Publicist!

Recently I attended a bookfest with several authors, a great majority self-published or published by a small press like I am. However, one author was there with her books that's published by a major New York house. Because I don't see much mention of her or her books on any of the lists I'm on, I suggested she might want to do a bit more promotion so that more people would know about her mysteries and have the opportunity to read them.

She told me she didn't feel the need since the publishing company had spent $20,000 on a publicist for her latest book. Whew! I can't even imagine that. Obviously, if that much money is being spent, publicity is being generated even though I haven't seen it. I'm guessing maybe ads in the book section of major newspapers and maybe endcap positions in bookstores like Barnes and Noble.

Having neither a big publisher behind me nor a budget for a publicist, I'll have to keep on doing what I'm doing and hope I touch a few readers who might enjoy my books.

I must confess I felt a tad envious. With a publicist doing all the work, I wouldn't have to blog or tweet, read and respond to so many lists, go to mystery cons or speak to Sisters in Crime groups or at libraries. I'd have far more time to write.

But--I wouldn't have the opportunity to meet so many people--people who have become true friends. So, I guess I'll be glad for who I am, the small publishers who have published my books, the groups and libraries who have asked to hear me speak.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

6 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think it's kinda sad. She was basically saying that since her publisher was paying for promotions, she had no need to belittle herself with blogging and such. The sad truth is, once you think you are somebody, you're actually nobody.

She's missing out on so many of the joys associated with being an author.

Feel blessed instead of envious!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Jean Henry Mead said...

I'm with you, Marilyn. Writers with large publishing houses may look down on us small press writers, but are they really enjoying the fruits of their labors?

Adele said...

I don't see why having a publicist relieves you of all responsibility to get out there and interact with the fans. Author presence on tinterweb seems so essential to me that i have on occasion discounted books because I went looking online and couldn't find the authors own site.

Legendary Lights said...

Have to agree with you all. We will likely never see the kind of money they are spending on publicity. While I would love to have that kind of push and support, I'd still be out there doing what I'm doing, meeting readers online and in person.

And I have to add that that kind of money is not long for this business.

Pam
http://beaconstreetbooks.com

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Pam, with the way the economy is and the way the publishing business is going, I doubt very seriously that so much money will continue to be used for promotion.

Glad there are others of you out there who feel like I do.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

Morgan Mandel said...

I like the feeling of community I get when I network and promote my books.

Sure, it would be nice to have a publicist to handle details like getting ads put together just right and in the right places, but I can't afford it.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com