Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Rocking the second job

When I worked for the state in a social service agency, employees were offered overtime to perform audits on a local mental hospital. I wanted to put in the hours as overtime was rare. My husband (at the time) veto’d the idea.  Later, a friend took on a part time job with HP working Sat/Sun ten hour shifts after her forty hours at her normal job.  My husband declared she’d be divorced in a year.

Well that couple didn't divorce, we did. And when I was preparing to be a one income single mom, I took on a second job waitressing.  Saturday and Sunday found me delivering eggs, pancakes, and muffins to customers.  I loved the people. My feet hated me. (The Burger Bar - Bristol, Virginia- Totally, not where I waitressed.)

I've had a lot of ‘second jobs’ since that stint waitressing.  I cobbled together several jobs including grant writer, administrative assistant, and organizational consultant along with my day job of trying to run a long term care consulting business.  Apparently the idea was too cutting edge and I went back into a real job with benefits. 

One of the hold outs from that time was my mystery shopping.  I loved visiting shops, restaurants, and rental complexes pretending to be a potential customer.  I learned a lot about customer service by seeing it from the business’s point of view.

Then I started writing.  And that became my second job. A very low paying job at the time, especially when you figure in the hours authors put into their creations.  But I’m on my own schedule, mostly.  Yes, I have deadlines for my publishers, but after years of managing a desk career, keeping balls in the air is second nature.  I love seeing my books complete and up for sale.

Once it’s done though, I have to let go of the process and deal with the product.  And start the next book.  Right now I have three series I need to complete, one has a firm deadline with a traditional publisher. It gets priority.  One’s almost complete.  And the other, is just a vision of what it could be.  In addition, I have two finished stories that I’m considering self-publishing,  a partial teaser out to another publisher that I will finish (someday) and a pile of ideas, waiting for me to have the time to play.

I could work every free minute of the day.  And last year, I did. Which created burnout and stress between the new husband and myself.  So this year, I’m taking it one day at a time. Giving the work the time and attention it deserves, but then also leaving time and energy for recharging and relationships. (Like last month's trip to a NASCAR race in Bristol Tennessee.)



But it is a job.  And like all jobs, you have to go home sometime, just to get your bearings. 

So what second jobs have you held? 

Lynn

3 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I've done a lot: telephone operator both long distance and information, job of choice when I needed money; teacher in a pre-school for kids with developmental disabilities, teacher in pre-school and day cares in ghetto areas, but my best one was a full-time job that was compatible with writing. Hubby and I owned and operated a licensed facility (home)for developmentally disabled adults. Loved my gals. They went to work most days from 6:30 a.m. to 3 leaving me a good deal of time to write. Of course I had a lot of paperwork for the job, laundry, cooking etc., but I wrote inbetween until the gals came home, then I concentrated on them.

Morgan Mandel said...

One job was more than enough for me!

Lynn Cahoon said...

Marilyn, I worked in social service for several years. Bless you for opening your home to your girls! It takes a special person to do that.

Morgan - I really like to keep busy. Although, I'd love just having one job now - The writing. LOL