Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Report on My Recent Promotions

Though most of us would rather write than spend time promoting, it is a necessary part of being a writer.

Over the last month or so, I've done lots of promotion for my latest Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery Bones in the Attic and tor the freebie of the second book in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series, Calling the Dead.

Because Bones in the Attic is published by Aakenbaaken and Kent, I'll have no way of knowing if my promotion has resulted in sales until I get my royalty report. I didn't do a book launch for this latest book but I did have several in-person appearance where I did sell the book.

This is only half of my display.

Because of my promotions, I did receive a wonderful review on Amazon--and here it is:

November 3, 2019

I've been a fan of Marilyn Meredith's books for a long time. This one is her newest entry in the Rocky Bluff series. The characters encounter a skeleton in the attic of an old house and summon the police and the mystery takes off from there as he characters struggle with their own personal issues while at the same time are working at solving the crime. If you're familiar with the series, it's like visiting some old friends. If this is your first time reading Meredith's writing, you're in for a treat. Hers is the work of a master craftsman who knows just how to combine the perfect amount of characterization, description, and plotting to make her novels refreshing page turners. Do yourself a favor and read this book. --Michael A. Black

I know it came from my promotion on my groups, because Mike Black told me he bought the book.

For my freebie, Calling the Dead, when my former publisher closed its doors, all of the books in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree series were re-edited and self-published (with a lot of help from a friend) so I confess, I tracked what was happening every day. By the end of the final day, 527 copies were downloaded! For two days, the book was #1 in Native American Literature, and was in the 20s of female sleuths.

Of course the whole idea of offering a free book in a series is that after reading the freebie, people will buy other books in the series. Is that happening? Yes, slowly, everyday one or two or three of the other books has been purchased. So I would say the promotion has been successful.

Marilyn




6 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks for this post. I have a book to promote, and have promoted others in the past, but I always find that part of things hard. It's nice to read your journey. Best of luck with continued success.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, not everything works out the way we hope it will. It's like throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping it sticks.

authorlindathorne said...

You're correct about the freeby promotion-advantage you get with a series. If a reader likes one of the books, it's natural for them to automatically look around for others in the series. Sometimes they latch on and read every book that comes out. You do a good job with your promotion.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Linda, I work hard at it, though it's not as successful as I'd like. But every little bit helps.

Morgan Mandel said...

It does help to have a series going. I only have 2 book series so far, so I can't ride sales off of that as much when I promote.

Online Teer said...

Satta King
Satta King India