Tuesday, November 10, 2020

And I Did an In-Person Event!

 

Here we are, daughter and I in our new plastic face masks participating in the Porterville Art Association's Holiday Boutique in the Art Gallery.

This event happens annually, and they didn't let the virus stop it this year. However, the group followed the rules, and I was happy to be a part of the event.

It lasted for two days, Friday and Saturday, and most of the other tables sold crafts and edibles. I've belonged to the PAA for many years, and in other times, I've given writing classes there, and hopefully I can do it again.

Though the attendance was light, some patrons came with the intent to buy one of my books. With mask wearing, at times it was hard to recognize folks. I had a friend who drove in the rain all the way from Fresno (an hour and a half plus drive) because she had 3 particular books she wanted. 

Others wanted to start with the first in my Deputy Tempe Crabtree series. 

It was a successful event for me--and not only for book selling, but because I not only got to chat with people I haven't seen for a long time, but also the artists who are members of PAA.

Though things have not gotten back to the way they were, it was wonderful to do this and I was happy for the opportunity.

The younger woman in the photo is my daughter, Lisa, who not only drove me to the event both days, she also helped me set up and take down, and makes changes and keeps track of sales. My son helped too by loading and unloading the car. I"m blessed by both of them.

Marilyn

5 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

That's nice that you could get out and sell some books and socialize some. It's also very nice that you have family close by who are supportive. I am so hoping that new possible vaccine proves to work and they can get it everywhere.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I really think we all had the virus right before they talked about it. Whole family was sick, especially husband who was down for a month. Son was working near San Francisco and came home sick and shared.

Hyba Is Writing said...

It's great that the event continued even during these tricky times, and good to know everyone took precautions. I've always wanted to be a part of events like these where community members can get involved!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Hyba, I love these events, my calendar was full of them for 2020 and they all got cancelled but this one. We had a great time.

Morgan Mandel said...

Plastic face masks are nice, so people can see your whole face. I sometimes wonder what people would look like without their masks. Glad you were able to participate in such an event.