I was the moderator for this panel--here is what was shared:
First of course, every novel must have conflict.
1. Let the reader know what's at stake.
2. The main character has to work against the clock.
4. Awkward challenges--moral dilemmas.
5. Suspenseful happenings.
6. Chapter endings--leaving things hanging.
7. Create a promise, hidden identity, a puzzle
8. Use flashbacks.
9. Characters with complicated histories.
10. Create a hero the reader will believe in and care about--and is vulnerable.
11. Create a great villain, smart, motivated and a worthy opponent for the hero.
12. Dramatic irony.
13. A countdown
Of course there was much more--but these should help.