Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Today is My Eldest Daughter's Birthday

 


“What has that got to do with mysteries or writing mysteries?” you ask. Not usually much, but in the case of The Trash Harem actually quite a bit. Not her birthday so much as my daughter herself. While talking about life in the 55 plus gated community where she and her husband now live, the title and the kernel of an idea for a new Deputy Tempe Crabtree was a part of her description of their new life.

Daughter Dana has always been a fan of my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries. Before our latest visit to our daughter’s home, I’d decided End of the Trail would be the last in the series. Many of my readers thought it probably was too, though not everyone was happy about it.

While describing all the things they do, and especially the habit our son-in-law has settled into, an idea for a new Tempe mystery began forming. Once I mentioned it, Dana, and my other daughter, Lisa, who was with us thought it was a great idea. We talked about it some, and Lisa and I came up with some more ideas on the way home and I jotted them down in a small tablet.

Once home and settled, I began thinking more about the plot and the characters. When I write, the characters drive the plot, so I began creating the people who would inhabit this tale—who they were, what they looked like, their personalities and their importance.

From there the writing flowed. Of course there was some research to do about things I wanted to include—but research these days with the Internet is so much easier than it once was. I also sent a few emails to Dana asking her questions about things I needed to know.

Of course the story took on some twists and turns I hadn’t expected, but that’s what’s fun about writing.

Daughter Dana and her husband Mike

Marilyn

Official Blurb:

Deputy Tempe Crabtree has retired from her job in Bear Creek when friends, who once lived in Bear Creek and attended Pastor Hutch’s church, ask her to visit them in Temecula. The husband, Jonathan, is a suspect in what might be a murder case. The retirement community includes many interesting characters, any of whom might have had a better motive than Jonathan. There is also a connection to Earle Stanley Gardner as well as the Pechanga Old Oak. What is a trash harem? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

To purchase The Trash Harem

https://www.amazon.com/Trash-Harem-Tempe-Crabtree-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B096KZDPH8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=The+Trash+Harem+by+Marilyn+Meredith&qid=1622899167&s=books&sr=1-1

Marilyn Meredith’s Bio:

She is the author of over 40 published books including the Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series, and writing as F. M. Meredith, the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. She’s a member of two chapters of Sisters in Crime and the Public Safety Writers Association.

Webpage: http://fictionforyou.com/

Blog: https://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marilyn.meredith

 

 

 

2 comments:

Thonie Hevron said...

Another fun twist on ending a series. Glad you were open to more Tempe Crabtree mysteries!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Maybe this one is the end. I had so many problems with mistakes, typos and the like, in this one. About drive me crazy. Thanks for commenting. Thonie!