Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Once I Was Ahead of the Game

 When the Internet appeared, I learned how to us it long before any of my friends. I signed up for an Internet class and knew more than the instructor taught us.

I signed up for an email account as soon as they were available. I had a Blackberry that I loved.

I embraced e-books long before most. In fact when i talked about e-books at conferences, I was booed. Was an uncomfortable time.

Then I was asked to give a class on e-books at a big writers' conference. Slowly, attitudes began to change. Now, most people don't even know there was a controversy.

The years have passed and I prefer working at my old PC rather than my sleek small laptop. There are so many things I have to ask for help with when I'm doing some of my work.

When programs are upgraded instead of them being easier, they are more complicated. 

I have an I-Phone but don't know how to use most of the features. 

As I'm getting older, I'm realizing I am no longer the up-to-date person I once was. But it's okay, I have grandchilden who know how to do it all and are happy to help their grandma.

Life moves on, and I'm having trouble keeping up.

Marilyn


3 comments:

Lorna Collins - Author said...

Same for me. I can still do most of the tech stuff, but I find myself reluctant to take on more new stuff.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

And I rely on you waytoo much. Thanks for being there.

Morgan Mandel said...

I try to stay ahead of the game, and have a desktop and laptop with Windows 11, which still takes some getting used to. Sometimes I forget and try to do things the old way. The good thing is when I got new ones, I waited for sales. I also made sure they were faster. The laptop isn't quite as loaded as the desktop, since I don't use that one as much. I gave up on IPhones a while back when I switched to Tracfone and got an Android instead, which was cheaper and gets reception in lots more places. Trouble is that phone is old now and may need to be replaced one of these days. Hate to part with it since it fits in my pocket when I walk the dog. lol