Tuesday, October 26, 2021

And Another In-Person Event

 

I parked myself and books under a tree.


Until Covid, the Springville Community Club put on a most popular outdoor event, The Apple Festival. Two years in a row it was cancelled, but this year they decided to try again, this time giving it a new name and only doing it for one day.

Though they didn't have as many vendors as in the past, there were still lots selling all sort of things, goodies to eat, (behind me, the local store was selling Tri-Tip sandwiches and had a long, long line), crafts of all kinds, plants, clothing, yard sale stuff. There were activities for the kids.

I judged a pumpkin decorating contest, and helped judge a costume contest.

While manning my booth, I was visited by old friends I hadn't seen in years, met a Facebook friend I didn't know, and a new mom in town and her daughter bought 13 of my books. Before the day was over I'd sold 18 books all together. Made back the money I'd paid for the space at the event and more.

According to our local newspaper, more than a 1,000 people attended.

I have one more in-person event lined up, the annual two day Holiday Boutique at the Porterville Art Gallery, November 5th and 6th.This one is always fun and a table and chairs are provided. Since it's inside, the weather doesn't matter. 

I've also been asked to give a presentation next year at one of the Community Club's regular meetings.

Yes, things are beginning to get back to normal, and I'm loving it.

Marilyn


4 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I'm glad you had a good turn out and sold so many books.

authorlindathorne said...

It sure sounds like things are coming back. For this to reopen after 2 years of cancellation is just so great. And selling 18 books, is outstanding. That one person who bought 13 sounds like a happy bug took over your day. They'll enjoy the books, that is for sure.

Nice to see your upbeat post. We need them.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks Elizabeth and Linda. It is coming back, slowly but sure.

Morgan Mandel said...

Since I've only been doing ebooks lately, I don't worry about making appearances anymore. Just as well. If you're not outside, there are too many rules to follow. We're going to a concert tomorrow night and already bought our tickets. The rules to gain admittance are not only having tickets, but also bringing a picture ID as well as vaccine proof, and wear a mask covering the nose and mouth inside. Kind of takes away from the enjoyment of being there.